In this episode I interview Cale Drouin from Plant Based Foods, a distribution company in Brisbane, Australia.
With a background in sales, Cale has worked for variety of organizations. He ran a vegan café and grocery store for three years, before moving into distribution three years ago.
Through Plant Based Foods he imports US products including Gardein, Tofurky and Match Meats, as well as working with local Australian brands such as Herbisaurus to get them into retailers.
In this interview, Cale talks about:
• The advantages for US product manufacturers of launching their products in Australia
• What US product manufacturers need to know when considering distribution in Australia
• The amount of capital a vegan business owner needs to get their products into retailers
• The realities of trading terms and profit margins
• Why you should not become dependent on large supermarket chains to stock your products
• The major mistake a retailer won’t put up with, which can destroy a food manufacturer
• The importance of knowing your own strengths – and why Cale recently ‘fired’ himself as CEO of his company
• And much more
Visit the Plant Based Foods website
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup: