In this episode I interview Kezia Jauron of Evolotus PR, a public relations agency that works with animal rights nonprofits and campaigns, documentary films, books, and vegan companies.
She and her husband, Evolotus co-founder Gary Smith are a whizz at generating positive media coverage, helping organizations gain visibility, increase their followings, and generate revenues.
Evolotus has promoted animal rights and veganism in the mainstream for nearly 10 years. Their clients include Mercy for Animals, Veganuary and Tofurky, among many others.
Kezia and Gary also run the popular blog The Thinking Vegan, through which they have mentored hundreds of new and transitioning vegans, and developed a comprehensive guide of Frequently Asked Questions and resources for people motivated to go vegan for ethical reasons.
The couple have each contributed to several published books, including Vegan Ventures: Start and Grow an Ethical Business; Circles of Compassion; Publicity to the Rescue; Plant-Powered Women; Plant-Powered Men; and more.
In addition to running a busy PR firm, Kezia is also a volunteer leader of the Vegan Professional Network, a Facebook group of like-minded vegan business owners and other professionals, which currently has around 7,500 members.
In this interview Kezia discusses:
• The difference between PR and marketing – and how the two complement each other
• What activities a boutique PR agency does for a brand (in addition to pitching media)
• The symbiotic relationship between PR and social media, and why both are important for raising your brand’s profile
• The difference between project-based PR and long-term retainers
• Why hourly rates disadvantage both PR firms and their clients
• The major misconception business owners have in regards to working with a PR
• And much more
Check out the books mentioned above:
Vegan Ventures: Start and Grow an Ethical Business
Circles of Compassion: Essays Connecting Issues of Justice
Publicity to the Rescue: How to Get More Attention for Your Animal Shelter, Humane Society or Rescue Group to Raise Awareness, Increase Donations, Recruit Volunteers, and Boost Adoptions
Plant-Powered Women: Pioneering Female Vegan Leaders Share Their Vision for a Healthier, Greener, More Compassionate World
RELATED POST: 5 things a vegan company needs to know about PR (Blog post by Kezia Jauron of Evolotus PR)
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup: