In this episode I interview Allison Rivers Samson, founder of Allison’s Gourmet, the first online vegan bakery in the US, established in 1997, and now co-creator of The Dairy Detox online wellness program.
Allison – aka the Maven of Mmm – is a born entrepreneur, buying her first business at the age of 17. She grew Allison’s Gourmet to the point where it was featured in high-profile media including the Wall Street Journal and delivered her treats to some of Hollywood’s most prestigious addresses.
For six years Allison wrote the award-winning column Veganize It! in VegNews magazine and she’s the author of the ebook Comfortably Yum: 10 Whole-Food Vegan Recipes from the Maven of Mmmm…
She recently closed down Allison’s Gourmet after nearly 20 years to focus on The Dairy Detox and her new health and wellness coaching.
In this interview she shares her experiences and insights as a pioneer in online food products, including:
• Recognizing you have way more competitors than you think you do – and why that’s a good thing
• The perils of using your own name in your company name
• The bold move Allison took to differentiate her brand as others came into the market
• The importance of (re)defining ‘success’ and adjusting your work and lifestyle accordingly
• Why she decided to close Allison’s Gourmet rather than sell it
• How to know when it really is time to quit your business and move in another direction
• And much more
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup: