In this episode I interview Meg and Komie Vora from fashion brand Delikate Rayne in Los Angeles.
The sisters grew up with a cruelty-free ethic – their father was raised Jain and their mother Hindi – and they’ve never eaten meat.
As they searched for an animal-friendly wardrobe, they identified a gap in the market for high-quality vegan, ethically manufactured, sustainable clothing in the contemporary space and launched Delikate Rayne in December 2013.
As the first generation of their family to be born in the US, they are keen to incorporate their east Indian roots into the brand. The company’s name is what both their names mean in Hindi and the brand represents an effortlessness, nonchalant coolness with components of luxury.
The sisters aim to provide clothing with a purpose and for the garments to hold meaning. They want their customers – who are predominantly women aged 18 to 35 – to feel good internally as well as externally.
All their clothing is made locally in LA, and they sell their garments in carefully chosen retailers and from their own online store and pop-ups.
In just three years and despite having no background in fashion before launching Delikate Rayne, their pieces have been worn by high-profile celebrities including Kendall Jenner.
In this interview Meg and Komie talk about:
• The best way to convince customers and buyers that cruelty-free fashion is as good as or better than garments that use animal materials
• The number one way for your customer to recognise you
• The importance of aesthetics and quality in ethical fashion
• How to convey vegan ethics in your marketing and branding without coming off as preachy
• How to get a celebrity to wear your clothes, and the key person on their staff you need to build a relationship with to make that happen
• And much more
Visit the Delikate Rayne website
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup:
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Vegan Business Media is a multi-media, multi-author blog for aspiring and existing owners of vegan-run businesses, designed to equip them with the information, tools, inspiration and resources they need to start and grow their enterprises. It is hosted by award-winning journalist Katrina Fox.