In this episode I interview Susie Pusch, owner of handbags and accessories company Bungalow360 in California.
Bungalow360 is renowned for its whimsical animal themes, exemplifying the company’s commitment to protecting the planet’s species and environment. Products are crafted of natural cotton canvas and printed with water-based inks.
The line consists of handbags, wallets, kids’ accessories and vegan leather items, with a new bamboo line in the works.
Susie started out hand-crafting the bags herself nearly 20 years ago in 1998, while working as a receptionist at Mossimo, a trendy lifestyle brand in California. She learned about sales and distribution which came in handy when she decided to quit her job and work full time on Bungalow360.
Her products are available in 2,000 independent boutiques, gift shops and health food stores across the US.
She operates the business from her home, on a farm in Fallbrook, California.
Bungalow360 is big on sustainability, using alternative energy sources such as solar, and it’s known for its philanthropy towards animal causes. As well as financial donations to various animal advocacy organizations, the company also provided solar panels to The Gentle Barn animal sanctuary.
In this interview Susie talks about:
• Why she doesn’t follow trends when designing her products
• Why she manufactures her products in China rather than the US (be prepared to set aside any preconceived ideas you may have around this)
• Why she decided to stop selling her products to department stores such as Nordstrom and deliberately kept her business smaller
• How she handled other companies stealing her designs
• How she used guerilla marketing tactics to raise her brand profile and make sales
• And much more
Visit the Bungalow360 website
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup:
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Vegan Business Media is a multi-media, multi-author blog for aspiring and existing owners of vegan-run businesses, designed to equip them with the information, tools, inspiration and resources they need to start and grow their enterprises. It is hosted by award-winning journalist Katrina Fox.