In this episode I interview Jody Rasch, managing director of VegInvest Trust, a vegan investment fund in New York that provides early-stage capital and guidance to companies striving to replace the use of animals.
Prior to launching VegInvest Trust in 2015, Jody headed the Social Performance Group at financial services company Moody’s Corporation, working on projects including microfinance and social investing. He also served on various advisory boards including Women’s World Banking’s Gender Performance Initiative and the Global Impact Investing Rating Service (GIIRS).
His 39-year professional background also includes founding a company that conducted financial training programs for international commercial and investment banks, heading up the New York derivatives sales desk of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, and working in the corporate treasury departments of two Fortune 500 companies.
VegInvest Trust’s current portfolio includes plant-based meal planning and delivery services Lighter and Purple Carrot, fast food chain Veggie Grill, sustainable seafood company New Wave Foods, and Washington DC eatery Shouk.
In this interview Jody talks about:
• The types of businesses VegInvest Trust is looking to collaborate with
• What he looks for when considering investing in a business
• The key mistakes vegan business owners make when approaching investors
• What to do when you have little to no experience in an industry to make your venture attractive to investors
• What he expects as an investor from a business after funding has been provided
• The risks involved in investing – for both the business owner and investor
• Why he believes large animal product companies buying out vegan businesses is a good thing
• What to put in place to deter a company buying out your vegan brand, then later adding animal products under its name
• And much more
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup:
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Vegan Business Media is a multi-media, multi-author blog for aspiring and existing owners of vegan-run businesses, designed to equip them with the information, tools, inspiration and resources they need to start and grow their enterprises. It is hosted by award-winning journalist Katrina Fox.