In this episode, I interview Billy Simmonds, founder of ECO Superfoods, a natural, vegan and organic health and fitness products company in Queensland, Australia.
Billy is a martial artist, bodybuilder, powerlifter, and winner of the 2009 Mr Universe title in Hollywood. An authority in health and nutrition, he has served as a strength and conditioning coach to athletes around the world.
Twenty years ago he worked in in the supplements industry in a health food store that is part of the largest chain in Australia. After working in corporate banking later in life, he left to start Prana ON, a supplement range which is now carried in stores across Asia, including Australia, New Zealand, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong and New Zealand, either directly or through a distributor.
After gaining a sterling reputation among vegans and non-vegans for Prana ON, ECO Superfoods launched a second brand, Kaaya Health, a nutritional supplement formulated for weight loss.
Billy is an advocate for healthy eating, the environment, and compassion for both people and animals. To celebrate his 10th year of advocacy work, he teamed up with In Defense of Animals to launch a global high-school speaking tour high to inspire young adults to lead a life of strength and kindness.
A popular speaker, he is currently writing a book, Strength in Kindness to share his journey, lessons, and teachings for success and is the host of the recently launched Power Plant Radio podcast.
In this interview Billy talks about:
• What gives his company a point of difference and why he refuses to pitch against competitors
• What draws non-vegans to the Prana ON brand
• How he came up with the Prana ON name and what it means
• What he looks for in a brand ambassador and people seeking sponsorship from the company
• Why he chose to employ a sales team in Australia, rather than using a distributor
• The benefits to the business of launching his own podcast
• How to scale up your business – the smart way
• Why you shouldn’t give away equity in your company just for dollars alone and what to seek instead
• And much more
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup:
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Vegan Business Media is a multi-media, multi-author blog for aspiring and existing owners of vegan-run businesses, designed to equip them with the information, tools, inspiration and resources they need to start and grow their enterprises. It is hosted by award-winning journalist Katrina Fox.