In this episode I interview Ryan Bethencourt, a vegan biotech entrepreneur, investor, and one of the founders of the biohacker movement, in Los Angeles.
Growing up in inner-city Miami, Ryan’s imagination was fueled by science fiction and as an adult he’s focused on using science and technology to solve some of humanity’s most intractable problems and reduce animal suffering.
He’s a co-founder, former program director and venture partner at biotech accelerator program IndieBio. Ryan has invested in more than 70 early-stage biotech startups, and served as the head of life sciences at the XPRIZE Foundation.
His latest venture, of which he’s co-founder and CEO, is Wild Earth, a pet food company that uses cultured protein to create vegan dog food. The company, which was started in 2014, is also working to bring a cruelty-free clean meat cat food to market.
In this interview Ryan discusses:
• What biohacking is and how it’s helping people, animals and planet
• The language and messaging vegan brands need to use to get consumers on board with new technology in food
• The (perhaps surprising) key mistake food startups make and what to do instead
• Why an idea is not enough and what else you need to get investors and partners on board with your business
• Why he thinks business plans are dead and what you need instead
• How to choose the right accelerator program for your startup
• The three questions he asks entrepreneurs before deciding whether to invest in them
• Why he chose to go the venture capital investment route for Wild Earth
• And much more
Visit the Wild Earth website
Check out my article on Ryan and Wild Earth on Forbes
Find out more about IndieBio life sciences startup accelerator program
Brands mentioned in vegan business news roundup:
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Vegan Business Media is a multi-media, multi-author blog for aspiring and existing owners of vegan-run businesses, designed to equip them with the information, tools, inspiration and resources they need to start and grow their enterprises. It is hosted by award-winning journalist Katrina Fox.