In this episode, I interview Christophe Caron, who, with his mother and father, own French vegan restaurant Delice & Sarrasin in New York.
Christophe moved from France to New York 10 years ago and spent the first few years as a fashion model, represented by top agencies Wilhemina Models and Ford Models.
After becoming vegan he began craving animal-free versions of traditional French food. So he encouraged his mother Yvette – a renowned chef in France – and his father Patrick to join him in New York to open a French vegan eatery.
Since opening six years ago on Christopher Street in the heart of the West Village, the small boutique restaurant – which serves vegan versions of beef bourguignon, steak tartare and many other delicious French dishes – has become a popular destination with locals and tourists alike.
In this interview, Christophe discusses:
• The leap of faith his parents, both about to enter their 60s, took by moving to a new country and starting a venture that hadn’t been done before
• Why location is everything and how the restaurant landed this particular property which had been closed for 25 years
• The challenges of replicating the complex flavors of traditional French dishes without animal ingredients and how they resolved them
• The pros and cons of working together in a family business and the key thing that makes it work so successfully for them
• How the business attracts and retains loyal, long-term employees – and the one requirement all staff need in order to keep their jobs
• How long it took for the restaurant to turn a profit and how it’s been funded to date
• And much more
Visit the Delice & Sarrasin website
Brands mentioned in vegan business news highlights
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Vegan Business Media is a multi-media, multi-author blog for aspiring and existing owners of vegan-run businesses, designed to equip them with the information, tools, inspiration and resources they need to start and grow their enterprises. It is hosted by award-winning journalist Katrina Fox.