In this episode I interview Hilary MacMillan, founder of her eponymous women’s fashion brand in Canada.
Founded in 2013, Hilary was one of the first Canadian designers to embody the plus-size market within her collections. Having becoming vegan and now sustainable, Hilary’s brand has been a voice of change.
In 2017, she launched her Feminist Capsule collection of bomber jackets, which has been worn by fashion icon Victoria Beckham.
Hilary donates 15% of all proceeds to Up With Women, an organization that supports at-risk women rebuild careers in their respective communities.
She’s also committed to donate 100% of the proceeds of her ‘Equal Pay’ Varsity Jacket to the Black Women in Motion organization – in perpetuity.
Hilary’s collections include sizing from 2 – 28, and the recent launch of her Signature Blouse, made from cupro – a 100% biodegradable waste product of cotton – marks the beginning of an important journey into the sustainable market for the brand.
In this interview Hilary discusses:
• Why including the plus-size market has been important for her from the beginning
• The responses to her using the word ‘feminist’ in the name of one of her jackets
• How fashion icon Victoria Beckham came to wear and post on social media about Hilary’s Feminist Capsule jacket and what impact this had on her business.
• How she’s grown the brand over the years in a competitive industry that favors cheap, fast-fashion
• The impact of COVID-19 on her business and how she’s handled it
• And more
Visit the Hilary MacMillan website
Services: Work with me
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Katrina Fox is an award-winning vegan journalist, publisher, speaker, PR consultant and media trainer who teaches vegan business owners, entrepreneurs and change makers how to get free publicity by sharing their stories. Katrina was a regular contributor to Forbes for a year, writing about vegan and plant-based business. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Vegan Business Media, the host of Vegan Business Talk podcast, and the author of Vegan Ventures: Start and Grow an Ethical Business. Katrina is also the creator of Vegans in the Limelight: Online PR course for Vegan Business Owners and Entrepreneurs. For more information and to hire Katrina, email her at katrina [at] veganbusinessmedia [dotcom]