In this episode I interview Kati Ohens, co-founder of vegan deli meats company Plantcraft in New Zealand.
After a 20-year marketing, advertising, and software executive career, Kati exited her agency to start working in the mission-based space.
While working as a vegan transition coach, she noticed the gap in the alternative meat market, and the need for deli slices.
Kati met commercial banking executive Csaba Hetenyi, a fellow Hungarian, during a work project as they were looking at commercializing a new food tech IP.
As she learned about the technology, Kati discovered that it could be used to make groundbreaking, sustainable, plant-based meat alternatives, and in 2018 the pair founded Plantcraft.
The company is just about to launch its first products into the US market.
In this interview Kati discusses:
• The challenges of running a services-based business to a product-based business and she’s handled them
• The different roles she and co-founder Csaba’s have and how they complement each other
• The two most important criteria for business success
• How Covid impacted the business
• Marketing strategies that are working we, including where buyers are now looking to find new products
• Why ‘plant-based’ is on the packaging for the US market but may be different when the company launches in other markets
• How she got investors on board, including one that had never invested in a plant-based brand and was so keen that they returned for a second raise
• And more
Visit the Plantcraft website
Follow Vegan Business Media on:
Connect with me personally at:
Katrina Fox is an award-winning vegan journalist, publisher, speaker, PR consultant and media trainer who teaches vegan business owners, entrepreneurs and change makers how to get free publicity by sharing their stories. Katrina was a regular contributor to Forbes for a year, writing about vegan and plant-based business. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Vegan Business Media, the host of Vegan Business Talk podcast, and the author of Vegan Ventures: Start and Grow an Ethical Business. Katrina is also the creator of Vegans in the Limelight: Online PR course for Vegan Business Owners and Entrepreneurs. For more information and to hire Katrina, email her at katrina [at] veganbusinessmedia [dotcom]